Ancestry Library Edition
Ancestry® Library Edition delivers hundreds of millions of names from sources such as federal and U.S. censuses; birth, death, and marriage records including the Social Security Death Index; and U.S. border crossing and trans-ocean ship records. DPL's Ancestry.com library subscription is available for in-library use only. Please ask at the circulation desk if you need assistance.
Check out the DPL Heritage Room!
The Heritage Room at DPL is located just through the cafe and holds DPL's current collection of local historic resources including several newly inventoried collections like the Durham Paper Collection and the Town of Durham Annual Reports. We also hold other historic volumes including the State and Provincial Papers, Granite Monthly, local Town histories, local Yearbooks, several periodical collections and much more. The Heritage Room is open and available for public use during all open hour, unless it is previously booked. No food or drink is allowed in the Heritage Room and all resources are for in-library use only.
Local Burial and Cemetery Records
State and Local Genealogy Resources
- Durham Historical Association - Since 1961, the Association has maintained a museum on the second floor of the old Town Hall that houses a growing collection of objects related to Durham, as well as archives of local and genealogical interest.
- Genealogy Learning Center - Resources for beginners to genealogy and family history to learn the basics of research. Includes information on getting started and organized.
- New Hampshire Statewide Genealogy - Statewide genealogical resource for vital records in New Hampshire history. Access City Directories here.
- NH State Library History Collection - The New Hampshire State Library houses approximately 2400 titles of published family histories for New Hampshire and New England.
- Portsmouth Athenaeum - A historic non-profit membership library, Seacoast history research center, exhibit gallery and community events in the heart of Market Square, Portsmouth, NH.
- UNH Digital Collections - Search the Dimond Library's archive of digitized historical material.
National Genealogy Resources